Central Water and Power Research Station was established in the year 1916 in Pune by the then Bombay Presidency as a Special Irrigation Cell. It is the Premier Research and Development (R & D) organisation and is a subordinate office under Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
To be a world class centre of excellence in research onhydraulic engineering and allied areas; which is responsive to changing global scenario, and need for sustaining and enhancing excellence in providing technological solutions for optimal and safe design of water resources structures.
To meet the country’s need for basic & applied research in water resources, power sector and coastal engineering with world-class standards
To develop competence in deployment of latest technologies by networking with the top institutions globally, to meet the future needs for development of water resources projects in the country effectively
To disseminate information, build skills and knowledge for capacity-building and mass awareness for optimization of available water resources.