The National Water Development Agency was set up on 17th July 1982 by Government of India as a Society under Societies registration act 1860 under the Ministry of Water Resources to study the feasibility of the links under Peninsular Component of National Perspective Plan. The NWDA is fully funded by Government of India. Subsequently in 1990-91, NWDA Society resolved to take up the studies of Himalayan Component also. Further, on 28th June, 2006 preparation of DPR of link projects and pre-feasibility/ feasibility reports of intra-basin links as proposed by States were also included in the functions of NWDA Society. Accordingly, MoWR vide resolution dtd. 30.11.2006 has modified the functions of NWDA Society. The functions of NWDA were further modified vide MoWR resolution dated 19.5.2011 to undertake the work of preparation of DPRs of intra-state links also by NWDA vide Gazette notification dated June 11, 2011. Further, two new functions in the mandate of NWDA were added vide Gazette notification dated 07.10.2016.
The functions of the Agency at present are as follows:
- To carry out detailed survey and investigations of possible reservoir sites and inter-connecting links in order to establish feasibility of the proposal of Peninsular Rivers Development and Himalayan Rivers Development Components forming part of the National Perspective for Water Resources Development prepared by the then Ministry of Irrigation (now Ministry of Water Resources, RD & GR) and Central Water Commission.
- To carry out detailed studies about the quantum of water in various Peninsular River systems and Himalayan River systems which can be transferred to other basins/States after meeting the reasonable needs of the basin/States in the foreseeable future.
- To prepare feasibility report of the various components of the scheme relating to Peninsular Rivers development and Himalayan Rivers development.
- To prepare detailed project report of river link proposals under National Perspective Plan for Water Resources Development after concurrence of the concerned States.
- To prepare pre – feasibility / feasibility / detailed project reports of the intra-state links as may be proposed by the States. The concurrence of the concerned co-basin States for such proposals may be obtained before taking up their FRs / DPRs.
- (To undertake/construct/repair/renovate/rehabilitate/implement the projects either on its own or through an appointed Agency/Organization/PSU or Company and the projects forming part of Interlinking of Rivers, for completion of projects falling under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY) of which projects under Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP) are also included and similar other projects.
- NWDA to act as a repository of borrowed funds or money received on deposit or loan given on interest or otherwise in such manner, as directed by MoWR, RD & GR and to secure the repayment of any such borrowed funds/money/deposits/loan etc. by way of mortgage, pledge, change or lien upon all or any other property, assets or revenue of the society both present and future.
- To do all such other things the Society may consider necessary, incidental, supplementary or conducive to the attainment of above objectives.
The composition of Society and Governing Body of NWDA, present status of activities under taken by NWDA and other details are available on website http://nwda.gov.in/