Central Water and Power Research Station provides comprehensive R&D support to a variety of projects in the areas of water and energy resources development and water borne transport. The main functions of this organization are:-
- Planning, organizing and undertaking specific research studies to evaluate, alter, modify or redesign the proposals and/or to redefine the objectives therein relating to all phases of water resources development including water-borne transport, environmental aspects
- Carrying out basic or fundamental research necessary to support its specific/applied research and/or aimed at furtherance of knowledge relevant to the Science and Technology Plans/Objectives of the country pertaining to water resources and related sciences
- Rendering consultancy and/or advisory services to the Central and State Governments as may be called upon from time to time
- Disseminating research findings and building up of a technical data base in water resources
- Promoting/ assisting research activities in State and other institutions concerned with water resources, as the premier national institute in the area of research associated with water resources development and carrying out training for research manpower.